Heating Oil and Diesel Safety
Irving Energy has been safely delivering heating oil and diesel to customers for over 84 years. In that time we’ve learned a thing or two about heating oil safety and we hope you’ll use these pages to allow us to share this information with you.
Heating oil is one of the most efficient and safe ways to heat your home and hot water. Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) is one of the cleanest fuels you can use to power construction and farm equipment. However, like any source of energy they can be hazardous if not handled and stored properly. Accidents can happen and we don’t want them to happen to you.
Some tips to keep in mind:
- Keep snow and ice from falling on or near your outdoor tanks, especially any exposed filters or oil lines.
- Do not let children play on or near fuel storage tanks or heating equipment;.
- Keep flammable materials (papers, toys, the laundry, other chemicals) away from your fuel burning appliances;
- Have your oil burning heating appliance serviced annually to keep it safe;
- NEVER burn outdoor oil burning devices in the home;
- Purchase and install smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in your home (and know what to do before the detector sounds!);
- Store heating oil or diesel only in approved containers;
- NEVER mix diesel or heating oil with gasoline;
- Don’t smoke within five feet of a storage tank;
- If you see an oil leak, try and contain it and call Irving at 888.310.1924